DramaFever Korean Streaming Service Officially Shuts Down

DramaFever Korean Streaming Service Shut Down (Longing Heart - Seo Ji Hoon)It’s definitely a sad day in dramaland. The Korean drama streaming service DramaFever has officially shut down. On October 16, the site simply stopped working and we were left with a message announcing the shut down.

DramaFever’s parent company Warner Bros cited business reasons for the shut down. They said customers are supposed to be contacted by email and will receive refunds. Warner had also recently merged with AT&T and just last week unveiled plans to launch a new streaming service.

This news really came as a surprise because of its abrupt end. I had watched a show on DramaFever just a couple hours earlier and all was fine. But when I returned, I was suddenly presented with error messages across all devices. I’ve heard some people were actually in the middle of watching an episode when they suddenly got the error.

I completely understand that this sort of thing happens in business. DramaFever had a good run for 9 years, but it seemed to be struggling to keep up in recent years. I was starting to be hopeful for them since the last few months had seen them bring a large number of new dramas to the site. But then this happens.

Though one of the most upsetting things about the situation is how it was handled. I find it completely unprofessional and disrespectful to its customers to end without any notice. At least give people a chance to prepare and wrap up what they are watching. Even just a couple weeks would be fine. To just abruptly shut down the service is terrible. But of course, the worst thing is losing the service at all.

It easily sets up Viki and Kocowa to dominate the drama streaming market. But after the Viki/Kocowa deal, a lot of new dramas aren’t available in many regions outside of North America. Maybe we can hope this will at least allow them to look at new opportunities to bring dramas to more countries. There is also the possibility Korean dramas could be included in the new AT&T/Warner streaming service. That would be a small portion of their offerings though, and I would bet the price would be significantly higher.

But this is a sad development for sure. DramaFever was a forerunner in bringing Korean dramas to the world and making them available to stream legally. The market is rapidly changing though, and that service is now gone. So now we again have to wait and see how this will ultimately affect the future of drama watching.

This entry was posted in Articles, News and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

32 Responses to DramaFever Korean Streaming Service Officially Shuts Down

1. BiblioNyan says:

It blew my mind when I heard about this. I was just watching stuff the night before. I agree with you, it’s completely unprofessional. It also amazes me that if they were planning on shutting the service down, they why did they charge for renewals this past week? It was all so poorly executed. I’m very disappointed in AT&T and Time Warner.

My mind was blown too. I was halfway through an episode, took a couple hour break, came back and it was gone. I agree, everything about this was unprofessional. Giving no notice at all is ridiculous. And I found it strange too that they continued processing subscriptions plus were actively acquiring new drama licenses. Maybe they will get use out of the licenses in the new AT&T/Warner streaming service. But like you, I’m very disappointed in them and the way this whole thing was handled 😦

2. shamrockmom3 says:

Very displeased customer here. DF might have violated their own T&C by not giving subscribers a 30-day notice regarding the change. I refuse to subscribe to cable and all the dreck just to watch my Kdramas. Interestingly there is a lot of content now at Amazon Prime where I “subscribed” to DF this morning. Crazy!

Same here! I was reading that too and wondered if they had in fact violated it. Either way, it’s a horrible way to handle your customers. I also have no interest in another bigger bundled streaming service. I primarily watch kdramas and Netflix covers me if I’m interested in a few other things. A lot of these newer streaming services are too pricey since they offer so much content. The whole thing really is crazy!

3. Ann says:

Couldn’t believe your post Kay. Went to dramafever and I was furious. What a way to do business. It’s like saying the hell with our customers. No warning .Just finished 100 days my prince on episode 10 and six more to go. Which I love historical. Also one of my favorite actors Song Seung Heon for Player. Didn’t start that one. Maybe Viki can get the rights to Dramafever’s dramas and in the future the Hell with AT&T and Time Warner. I’m so upset. I will be boycotting anything that AT&T and Time Warner is airing or their movies or anything that pertains to them.

I know! It’s an absolutely terrible way to treat your customers. Not only were we in the middle of watching shows, many were literally in the middle of an episode when they pulled the plug. Ridiculous. I really hope Viki is able to pick up a few these too. But I wonder if AT&T plans to hold onto the exclusive licenses or will they release them? It really is such a messy way to do business 😦

4. ottiaf says:

hi kay.. i too was in middle of watching show. then gone.

has anyone else received this email yet. i just did and i never requested a cancellation. is this their way out of refunding.

Your Premium subscription has been canceled
    Hi Ottia–

As requested, your DramaFever Premium subscription has been canceled.

You can continue to enjoy watching dramas with ads on your free membership! But no Premium subscription means no more access to feature films, HD streaming, or exclusive shows available only on DramaFever.

We’re sad to see you go! If you change your mind, you can always sign up again by

So many of us had that experience. I’ve heard quite a few people received an email like yours. It’s strange since obviously there isn’t even a regular service available anymore. I wonder if it was a glitch? I and a lot of others haven’t actually received any email from them yet concerning the matter. I think I read somewhere that it would be in the next few days that they contact customers and issue refunds. I certainly hope that’s how it plays out after the mess this has been.

I’m really sorry for you and a lot of other people that watch on this site. I mentioned already that I pretty much was never able to see anything there as almost all dramas were blocked on this region. But it’s truly sad that this is handled in such an unproffesional way…😢

Yep, it really is a disappointment for so many of us that used the site. I’ve been using it for many years. And the way they handled the shut down was just awful. It just leaves you wondering how any professional business would think handling it like that was a good idea 😦

6. okiewinegirl2015 says:

OH NO! This is truly a sad day. And how it happened is even more upsetting. I’m constantly searching for ways to watch dramas without having to pay enormous fees. Will have to see how the new streaming service plays out. Hopefully At&T doesn’t hold the licenses hostage so we might get to watch them again. Thankfully Netflix has a few dramas and occasionally even a current one. It’s an interesting time for streaming entertainment. Just grateful I was able to watch same shows as my friend in Korea, at least for a short time!

A sad day it is. It’s bad enough the service is gone, but how it went down is a slap in the face to its customers. I think there’s a chance the new AT&T service will have kdramas, I just mostly worry about the price and of course if they will have a variety and how they will distribute it. I’ve been glad to see Netflix getting more dramas again, but I know a lot of people don’t like that they don’t air the shows week to week. I really hope the new service would air weekly. There’s definitely been a lot of changes happening in streaming entertainment these days. It’s getting hard to keep up with!

7. almiaramos says:

Sad news. I really like Damafever translates. In the other way I have some concerns with Vik since was taken by Rakuten. Too much *not broadcast in this region.* We need to wait in calm and tranquil…….

Very sad news 😦 The Viki/Kocowa partnership left a lot of regions without access to a lot of dramas. I hope they are able to expand now since I’m sure they are about to gain quite a few new customers. But yes, all we can do it make adjustments and wait it out to see how things develop.

8. Crazy question but if someone…not saying me…not saying not me…were to start a go-fund-me to make a DramaFever replacement, would anyone be interested in donating? If nothing else, I feel like it would be a way to get back at Warner/AT&T for stabbing us in the back! #dramafever #revenge #gofundme #crazyideas

That’s a very interesting idea. It would be great to have another viable alternative come up. You’d probably really need to find someone with some know how to get it done. It would certainly fulfill those revenge fantasies many of us are having right now, hehe

9. D says:

I am furious, devastated and disappointed to say the least. Having given no warning is truly a punch in the gut. Surely there are a lot of subscribers. On the other hand, I really don’t know what to do as DF was my main source of Kdramas. It’s so depressing. And in my region Viki isn’t that great and none of the other ones are available even if I wanted to subscribe to it. 🙁

You sum up what dramaland is feeling right now! And yes, that no warning was just terrible in every way. You were one of the first people I thought of since I know DF was your primary drama streaming service. Like you said, Viki just doesn’t have as much outside of North America. I just really hope they take this as an opportunity to expand. I think they will still get an influx of new customers since there aren’t that many options for many. It would be a good time to capitalize on that and make more dramas available. I’m really sorry you lost this service. I want you and everyone to just be able to enjoy their dramas!

10. Sondra says:

I too am disappointed in DF. However anyone who knows ATT should not be surprised. They are BIG and just run over those in the way..
    I’m concerned for Korean dramas here in America. Some of the Netflix content is fine. A lot is not.
    Wonder how much Viki will pick up. The dramas we choose to watch are always personal preference.
    Much on Viki is not to my taste. But Dramafever had the best.
    There are some sites on the internet which show some good dramas. But cannot be streamed to a TV.
    Somehow it helps to know we are all upset together.

Yeah, I think a lot of us have realized that about ATT from past experiences. I’ve been a bit worried since Kocowa popped up and changes started happening. I was concerned for DF then, but thought they seemed to be doing well recently. Of course, we know this is more of an ATT thing.

Viki has a pretty nice collection, but they haven’t been getting as many cable dramas. Maybe this will change. But I’m sure we’ll see other changes coming up be it with Netflix or this new streaming service. But like you said, at least we are all together in being unhappy about the situation.

11. snow says:

This is so weird! One does not expect such abrupt action from a reputed website that has so many users.
    They could have at least given a prior notice ir information instead of disappearing like this.
    Sad day indeed…it’s like an era ended as Dramafever is something we drama addicts are hearing from so many years and seeing it everywhere!

I know! As much as it saddens to me to lose DF, the way it went down is just mind boggling. It takes the upset to a higher level. Sure, we’d have all been upset for them shutting down if they gave us notice, but it would have given time for people to wrap up their shows and take note of what they still wanted to watch. And it’s just plain respectful to let your paying customers know rather than pulling the plug in the middle of service. And yes, DF has been such a big part of the kdrama landscape so its loss will certainly be felt.

I just read about this yesterday on another blog. A sad and disrespectful way to end things. But that’s Big Business for you. Obviously AT&T sees the drama fans as something very marginal and not worth even a proper ‘good bye’.

Dramafever has never been available where I live, so this didn’t really affect me. I’m just sorry for everyone who relied on DF for their drama content.

Yeah, when big businesses start to monopolize things, decency seems to get thrown out the door. It was a terrible way to end the service and just leaves everything on a sour note. So many used it as their primary drama watching service, so of course it’s very difficult for them. I’m glad you won’t be affected by it though and can continue watching what you like and without disruption 🙂

13. Wow…. Apparently I miss a lot of sad days!! Ha ha! Geez, this sucks!!

14. AT&T knows no bounds with their arrogance! To acquire Time Warner and within a week to shutdown Dramafever… so greedy. You know they are probably rolling the licenses they do retain into their new streaming platform and don’t care that we all paid for a service. I was watching My Secret Terius too… 😦

Many of us completely echo your thoughts. The whole way it went down was terrible and left such a bad tastes in everyone’s mouth. So many were in the middle of dramas too. I’m afraid even if they have some kdramas on their new service that it will be much pricier because of the variety of other content that will be offered. It’s just a bad deal all around 😦

15. Pingback: New Streaming Service Dedicated to Chinese Dramas Called Bambu to Launch in the US in 2019 | Kdrama Kisses