Song Joong Ki and Kim Ji Won to Star in Korean Historical Drama “Asadal”

Asadal Korean Drama - Song Joong Ki and Kim Ji Won

We finally have confirmations that Song Joong Ki  (Descendants of the Sun) and Kim Ji Won (Fight for My Way) will star in the upcoming tvN historical drama Asadal. This will be a reunion for the pair who worked together in Descendants of the Sun in 2016. Jang Dong Gun (Suits) and Kim Ok Bin (Children of a Lesser God) will round out the main cast.

Asadal is the latest epic historical set in ancient times with a story that blends myth and history as a power struggle ensues during the founding of the nation of Gojoseon. It comes from the writers of  Six Flying Dragons and Tree With Deep Roots and from the PD of My Ahjussi.

We’ve got quite a cast lined up with an amazing production team and writers with this one. This drama will most likely be very buzzed about as we approach next year. I’m particularly excited about the setting taking us to ancient times which offers something unique.

Asadal is planning to be pre-produced and is looking to air in early 2019.

Sign Up to receive email updates of kdrama casting news, trailers, reviews, and more.

This entry was posted in News and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Song Joong Ki and Kim Ji Won to Star in Korean Historical Drama “Asadal”

1. kwenzqoatl says:

not the biggest fan of historical dramas but it’ll be cool to see Song Joong Ki

I’m a huge fan of historicals and am excited to see another one on the line up since there haven’t been as many this year. And definitely looking forward to Song Joong Ki’s comeback drama too 🙂

• kwenzqoatl says:

Historicals can be cool but I usually need a really big hook. Like characters get sent forward or back in time. Or it has super natural characters. If its just a regular historical drama I tend to skip it out unless it has an actor or actress that I heart beyond belief.

I understand that. I actually prefer historicals that have a fantasy element or heavy romance. But there are those I like that don’t have those elements. I mostly just don’t like traditional historicals that focus heavily on politics. I need a little more spice to keep me interested, lol

• kwenzqoatl says:

Oh I forgot another reason I skip out on them. Idk but it seems like they also have a higher chance of having a tragic ending. Im not a big fan of those so… haha

Haha, that is very true. Happy endings are definitely not a guarantee with historicals. Well, if you’re ever in a historical kind of mood, feel free to ask, and I can tip you off if the drama has a happy ending 🙂

2. Fredred says:

I don’t care what the story or setting is. Song Joong Ki is my favorite male lead and Kim Ji Won is my 2nd favorite female lead (after IU). Those two are more than enough for me HAHAHA.

I knew you would be happy to see Kim Ji Won 🙂 This drama has me pretty excited all around especially with the cast and the setting. Hopefully, we will be in for an epic ride 🙂