Cha Seung Won Offered Lead Role in New Hong Sisters Korean Drama ‘Hwayugi’

Hwayugi Korean Drama - Cha Seung Won

Cha Seung Won (Hwajung) has been offered the leading role in the latest drama coming from the popular writer duo the Hong sisters called Hwayugi. Hwayugi is a fantasy romance loosely based on the Chinese novel Journey to the West. It moves the story to the modern day where Cha Seung Won would play a successful businessman.

This would be a reunion between him and the Hong sisters since he starred in their hit 2011 drama The Greatest Love. The PD of The Greatest Love is on board for this project too. It also sounds like the drama will have some horror elements in the same vain as another one of their dramas, Master’s Sun.

The Hong sisters have written so many dramas that I love including my all time favorite My Girlfriend is a Gumiho. I really hope they can deliver another fun and quirky drama this time around.

Hwayugi is looking to air at the end of the year on tvN.

Sign Up to receive email updates of kdrama casting news, trailers, reviews, and more.

Copyright © 2015-2017 by Kdrama Kisses.  All rights reserved. This website or any portion thereof may not be reproduced or used in any manner whatsoever without the express written permission of the author.  Excerpts may be used provided that credit is given to Kdrama Kisses (kdramakisses.com) with clear and direct links to the original content.

This entry was posted in News and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Cha Seung Won Offered Lead Role in New Hong Sisters Korean Drama ‘Hwayugi’

The last Chinese drama I have watched was the first season of Tiger Cubs, which I quite liked. Since that, I have only been seeing Korean dramas. But that’s not to say that I won’t shift gears again some day. I will do some research for it as well seeing as I yet haven’t heard of the Hong Sisters 😊

This one will still be a Korean drama even though it’s based on a Chinese novel. I know why you haven’t come across the Hong sisters yet…they exclusively write romantic comedies 🙂 The do mix in some melo too, but they are easily classified as rom coms. But they wrote many classic kdramas including My Girlfriend is a Gumiho, My Girl, and You’re Beautiful (I do think you have mentioned having this one on your list before). Lots of good stuff from these writers 🙂

• raistlin0903 says:

Haha, lol that definitely must be it then 😂 Thanks for clarifying that though, I thought it was a Chinese drama, but if it’s Korean maybe I will at least check out the pilot, just to see what it’s about 😊

Lol, probably 😉 But yes, maybe give the first ep a look. And if you ever just decide you’re in the mood for a rom-com, these writer’s are mostly solid. Maybe check out one I listed above. My fav is My Girlfriend is a Gumiho. It has a fair amount of comedy, but it also has some melo along with the fantasy aspect of a Gumiho trying to become human. The couple has fantastic chemistry too. You would definitely want to be in the mood for some laughs though 🙂

2. kwenzqoatl says:

I think this is some good news. I really like this actor and these writers. Hopefuly he accepts. For me The Greatest Love was one of their best. The only Hong Sister’s drama I have been mixed on so far has been Big.

Yes, I love the Hong sisters! So many great dramas from them including some of my favorites 🙂 I haven’t seen Big yet, although I’m very aware of the general dislike towards it. I’ll definitely check it out at some point though. But I think a reunion between Cha Seung Won and the Hong sisters could be a good thing, so I’m excited for this project 🙂

3. shamrockmom3 says:

Not sure about the horror elements (not a fan of that genre) but I am thrilled about Cha Seung Won and the Hong Sisters back together again. “Greatest Love” is one of my all-time favorites.If CSW is gonna be a successful businessman, then I get to see him in sharply tailored suits and fast cars, and I am always good with that! 🙂

I’m not a fan of horror either, but I don’t mind lighter ghost type stuff such as Master’s Sun or Oh My Ghostess. But yes, Cha Seung Won and the Hong sisters will make a wonderful reunion! And he will definitely be perfect as a sharply dressed business man 🙂